For the fourth and last installment of our Women’s Health and fitness Month website collection, we spoke with Lei Wang, MD, a rheumatologist with Dignity Health and fitness Woodland Clinic. Dr. Wang shares guidance on widespread rheumatic ailments — which are problems that impact joints, tendons, ligaments, bones, and muscle mass.
What are some rheumatic problems ladies really should be informed of as they age?
Dr. Wang: There are many frequent rheumatic ailments that can impact people as they age, such as polymyalgia rheumatica, big mobile arteritis, osteoarthritis, crystal arthritis and osteoporosis. Among the these ailments, the subsequent are much more prevalent in women of all ages, specifically after they enter menopause, all-around age 55:
- Osteoarthritis is harm to the cartilage at the close of our bones, producing the bones within just the joint to rub jointly and produce ache, inflammation or decline of movement.
- Osteoporosis is a decline of bone mass or density, resulting in bones to turn into brittle and increasing the threat for bone breakage.
What preventative actions can females choose to reduce their hazard of these situations?
Dr. Wang: Taking calcium and vitamin D dietary supplements, each which are critical nutrients for bone health. Even girls in their early teens ought to get enough calcium in their diet program to prevent osteoporosis later in life.
Healthier life style habits can assistance cut down the danger of creating rheumatic disorders, as effectively as contribute to in general fantastic wellness which includes:
- Maintaining a healthier excess weight
- Incorporating exercising into day-to-day action (cardio training, body weight-bearing and resistance routines)
- Quitting or avoiding cigarette smoking cigarettes
- Limiting alcoholic beverages consumption
- Getting rid of potential hazards from the residence to prevent falls or injury
Normally, osteoporosis indicators are not apparent, producing screening especially essential as we age. The faster osteoporosis is detected, the quicker life-style improvements can be implemented that can considerably reduce the chance of fractures. Girls who are postmenopausal and women of all ages around 65 yrs outdated should be screened for osteoporosis each year. If you detect a reduction of peak, stooped posture, reduced back again pain, or an easily broken bone, you ought to chat to your medical doctor about screening.
Make contact with your most important care physician or rheumatologist to discuss and agenda once-a-year screenings, or seek the advice of our “Locate a Medical professional” instrument to come across a Dignity Health health care provider around you.